We have a wealth of experience working with the Public Sector and have developed an impressive track record of real achievement and satisfied clients. International agencies, national agencies and government departments, devolved administrations, regional development agencies, Innovate UK, and public sector research establishments are all part of our portfolio of clients. For the Public Sector, we work in three ways:
Inputs to Government Policy
This work is undertaken primarily in the Space sector where we have been active for over a decade. Our experience encompasses both upstream space technologies and downstream applications of space and how to find business opportunities in commercial and governmental space organisations.
Qi3 has undertaken major reviews of the industrial and academic impact of UK participation in a number of international space programmes, including:
- Aurora – the European Space Agency (ESA) programme for robotic and human exploration of solar system bodies holding promise for traces of life.
- Integrated Applications Promotion – an ESA programme for developing terrestrial applications using multiple space assets
- International Space Station – UK participation in elements of the programme.
Over the years our team has made a big contribution to the effective transfer of knowledge around instrumentation technologies in the Public Sector. Our clients include:
- UK Space Agency – Centre of Earth Observation Instrumentation & Space Technology
- Closed Nuclear Cities Programme
- European Space Agency
- Sensors and Instrumentation KTN
- Electronics and Sensors KTN
- NERC (Natural Environment Research Council)
- STFC (Science & Technology Facilities Council)
We understand the challenges, budget constraints and evolving initiatives of this area and have developed an unusual and perhaps unique methodology for supporting Knowledge Transfer and Technology Commercialisation.
- We treat Knowledge Transfer as a ‘brokering’ process and have achieved consistently high performance for our clients using our sales-based methodologyAs a team, we are used to creating and developing products and companies, we are engaged in delivering results, not just advising
- We sit at the intersection of technologies and markets and offer a true combination of business support and technology marketing. This approach allows us to work in the best interests of business whilst ensuring effective Knowledge Transfer for our public sector clients
- Our unusual combination of contacts at the cutting edge of research, knowledge of public sector funds available for technology transfer, and our practical business experience means that we can provide public sector organisations with a unique service.
We have organised and run hundreds of workshops, events, competitions along the way and continue to do so. For Advanced Instrumentation alone we have generated over £40m of new innovation finance projects and organised over 100 events and workshops. Please view our case studies to see examples of our work for the public sector.
“Within GSK, Qi3 has a real impact on image analysis in drug discovery and the process analysis for reactors by introducing the company to excellent scientists who are not in our normal fields of expertise.”
– Malcolm Skingle, GlaxoSmithKline
“Given Qi3’s background, experience and recent space related contracts it was clear that this was a company with the acumen and ability to examine our ‘unusual case’ and provide advice concerning the organisation structure that the UK Space Biomedicine Consortium could adopt to optimise its ability to achieve its aims and objectives. We can see ourselves returning to Qi3 for further services as the consortium develops.”
– Simon Everts, UKSBC Coordinator, UK Space Biomedicine Consortium